Insurance clarity
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
So today I finally got around to calling my insurance and it looks like it really is as straightforward as it sounds. Prequalification involves doing a medically supervised weight loss & exercise program, which I think will be as easy as joining a plan like Weight Watchers and then just checking in with either the surgeon or my PCP on a monthly basis so they can track the changes. Maybe it'll work a little better for me if I see it as prepping myself for surgery. The best part is that even though I'd have to complete six months of the program before the surgery, I can get approved after only 3 months.

I really have no problem with waiting that long, I realized today. It would give me time to do some product testing (protein shakes, etc, things I'll be surviving on afterwards), some time to exercise and some time to get everyone around me used to the idea. Plus, this way it won't end up interfering with A) the holidays or B) my company's crazy time of year, which is February. By my calculations, I think an April/May time frame will be when it happens. Just in time to get some weight off before the heat hits!

I discovered another bariatric group here in San Diego that looks like it would be a good choice; 98% of their surgeries are laproscopic, which is super important for me. I know it's MAJOR surgery so it's going to hurt regardless, but the laproscopic has a lower chance of complications and a faster recovery time. We're going to go to informational seminars for both groups next month (my husband is coming with me, of course...he's being amazingly supportive of me), and I'll probably go ahead and schedule consultations with both of the doctors I'm considering so I can see which progam/office feels right. Aftercare is huge for me. I really want to make sure I have a good network to lean on for nutritional support, emotional support, etc. I do NOT want to be one of the people who goes through all of this only to go back to my old habits and gain the weight back.

It's so crazy. I've got these HUGE butterflies in my stomach all of a sudden when I think about this. I've spent a ton of time on Obesity Help just reading stories of people who ahve been through this and I'm both nervous and excited because that will be me someday. I am so very lucky to have the insurance coverage that I do. I cannot imagine how frustrating it would be to be facing a journey of a year or more at this point.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey! Good luck with the precert process. Take a tip from me and get a copy of your policy, specifically the part about WLS and learn it inside and out. Also, be sure to document every contact you have with your insurance company, including names, dates and times, as well as content. I had a really weird ride to approval, and if I hadn't been as anal as I am about recordkeeping of this sort, I don't think the outcome would have been as positive or as quick.

Blogger Unknown said...

I've also read every profile on OH and most of the ones on DS as well. Talk about obsessive.

Have you checked out FitDay? I find keeping track of what I eat has helped me to figure out foods as well as get a general overview.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer