I wonder if I could claim the surgery under worker's comp
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Funny how life gets away from you, isn't it? I've had about a million ideas for things I want to write here but I just haven't had the time to sit and do it. Work has been incredibly stressful and now I get to fly to San Jose in the morning so that I can make it to a funeral for a relative's funeral in Turlock. We're flying Southwest, the family and I, which means that I will be wearing my tightest jeans (so as to keep my copious ass as small as possible) and my mom had to buy an extra seat. I am very grateful that I've never had that issue; in fact, it's only 2 or 3 times that I've even had to ask for a seatbelt extender. I'm sure that most people would assume that someone who weighs at least 300 pounds would never fit into an airplane seatbelt but there you go. I'm also only a size 24/26, and no one in my day to day life who I've told that number to has believed me without some serious convincing.

It's yet another demonstration of a strange phenomenon I've noticed. As I go through all the before and after pictures on ObesityHelp, I keep seeing people who look so much larger than me but weigh a good 50-100 pounds less than I do. I suppose that this is why I've not minded the slow creep of weight that has settled on me. Somehow, I've kept my ankles and my waistline and even my long neck. I don't feel like a shapless lump, and I can still find cute clothes that are even stylish. And so being big has been okay.

But not anymore.

Next week I'm going to my first seminar, given by the surgery group that did my friend's mother's surgery 5 years ago. And then I'm going to meet up with my friend's mom for a nice long afternoon chat so I can hear her story. I've got a second seminar that I'm going to go to; i've narrowed it down to one of these two centers and really, it's going to come down to who can do it soonest and who can do it laproscopically. Both of them are COEs that come highly recommended with great aftercare support and affiliations with hospitals within a 15 minute drive of my home, so really it's just a matter of seeing who I have a better feeling for.

I also decided this week that I'm not going to let my work's fiscal year schedule affect when I do the surgery. If they end up giving me a surgery date right smack in the middle of it, oh well because the stress eating that I've done over the past few weeks because of my job is a big reason why I need this surgery. So there.


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've also had some of the same issues - most people, including my physician, refused to believe my weight was as high as it was. That is the downside to carrying one's weight well.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer