Convenient inconveniences
Monday, September 17, 2007
I just ate a peanut butter & banana "quesadilla" for dinner. Well, 3/4 of a small one anyway. I'm sure there are numerous people out there who would be horrified to hear that, including my nutritionist, but you know what? Fuck it. There were 10 grams of protein in it, and I need more of the fat that peanut butter has since my HDL cholesterol is lower than I'd like. (I am of course not ignoring the fact that oh my, I am so, so full; peanut butter is filling like cotton stuffing for me.)

Food's been on my mind a lot today, mostly because it was the farthest thing from my mind for most of the weekend. See, I'm one of those people who has a hard time saying no to charitable causes so when my friend asked me to be the Parking Chair for the San Diego Heart Walk, I said okay. Of course, I said okay BEFORE finding out that being one of the chairs on the planning committee meant that I would be doing manual labor for basically 36 hours straight when the walk finally happened. And that was after months of planning meetings and diagram making and discussions with the city and the parking company and the shuttle company.

So I was up at 4:30 in the morning on Friday, and from 7am to 9:30pm I was lifting parade barricades and loading boxes and driving golf carts. And every so often I would remember that hey, I needed to eat. And so I'd eat a few almonds, down a quick protein drink, pull the filling out of a Subway sandwich. I'm positive that I was nowhere close to 50 grams of protein, because I kinda forgot to eat dinner. (I also forgot to use sunblock, which...ouch.)

Saturday was even worse. Out the door at 2am, onsite at 2:30 and I hit the ground running. I spent the next 7 hours literally moving nonstop, forgetting to even bend over every now and again, much less remember to eat. I ate a handful of almonds, slugged down some Nectar, scarfed a few spoonfuls of yogurt. I had carefully packed some hardboiled eggs and string cheese and yogurt in a cooler but then I just didn't have the time to stop and eat. I really have no idea how I managed to keep going through all of that with basically nothing in me, but I did.

And then I enjoyed some chips and guacamole with my fellow committee members and called it a day.

Needless to say, this was not the best food weekend. It was not a good food weekend and yet I am not beating myself up for it anymore than I'm beating myself for what I ate for dinner tonight. And that right there is amazing, isn't it?

Even more amazing is the fact that tonight I bought a bunch of organic beef jerky snacks to take with me when I go on vacation this week. Look at me, all planning my protein and shit. Man, vacations were already hard enough, what with my packing lists and need to take at least 8 pairs of shoes with me wherever I go. Now I have to worry about things like vitamins and protein so I don't keel over and die or something.

But you know what? It is totally worth it, and not just because the bridesmaid dress (the dress I ordered 2 sizes smaller back in June) totally needs to be taken in. It's worth it because I was able to do manual labor for 36 hours straight and actually have fun doing it rather than be miserable the whole time because everything hurt. It's worth it because I am actually looking forward to spending days and days wandering around Newport and Philadelphia taking pictures and playing tourist because my god, I can walk for days now.

Yep. It's totally worth packing my suitcase full of beef jerky and Nectar packets. See you in a couple weeks.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melinda! We'll miss you at Rehab (not THAT Rehab - you know what I'm talking about....) Where did you order your beef jerky from? I just finished off a supply of bison jerky that I got at a tractor show (of all places) and I have a serious craving for some more jerkified products.
Thanks-Poppy
PS _ Excellent tips on the sunscreen application. I made it through my biking vacation with nary a burn.

Blogger Dagny said...

I figure having to be all stocked up on my vitamins and protein is way better than carrying around the seven prescription medicines I used to be on plus the blood sugar finger poke thing and the test sticks and alcohol wipes. Good god.
Dagny

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer