Silver cloud, rusty lining
Monday, July 30, 2007
I've exercised in some way, shape or form on 5 of the past 7 days and my ass, it is aching.

I've gotten an average of 64 grams of protein in, and I always get 64-72 ounces of water in.

Yesterday, I put on a pair of jeans that is a size smaller than the jeans I've been wearing lately; those jeans haven't fit since before I broke my wrist (and gained 20 pounds while recovering).

Every shirt I own is fitting me differently (half of them are too big now), and so are my shoes.

My husband noticed yesterday that when we're spooning, his arm doesn't have to reach as far to get around my middle.

My boobs are still ginormous, but my bras all fit better.

And today when I did my weekly weigh in, my scale said I had gained 3 pounds since last week.

That's how it goes. There's all these other things telling me that hey, I am losing weight! My body is shrinking! Things are going the way they are supposed to! And then along comes the evil, stupid scale to try and convince me that no they're not! It's failing, I'M FAILING, just like every other time.

Luckily, those jeans still fit me perfectly this morning, so I am (mostly) able to ignore the evil, stupid scale. And right now I am debating whether to weigh myself at home at all. I'll be seeing both doctors on a regular basis, so it's not like I'll never get weighed. At the very most, I'm only going to weigh myself on the monthly anniversary of the surgery, because bodies are too finicky. Those 3 pounds are probably water retained by my body to help heal the muscles that are aching from all the new working out I've been forcing them to do (that happens pretty much every time I start working out in earnest), but hopping on and off the scale all week is not going to make the water go away any faster.

I know that I am supposed to be obsessed with that number on the evil, stupid scale, especially now, when I am supposed to be losing weight LIKE CRAZY. But I don't want to be. I don't want to obsess about that number because I have other numbers I'd rather be obsessed with. Numbers like my jeans size and my inches and how fast I can walk 5 miles are so much more important to me in the long run. And numbers like how many grams of protein I've eaten and how many ounces of water I'm drunk are so much more important to my body that those are the numbers I need to pay attention to.

So tonight, I'm having my husband put the scale away until the 9th of August, and it will only be taken out again on the 9th of each month for the first year. I think sacrificing one morning a month to the stupid, evil scale is plenty.

Especially since I've already sacrificed 32 years to it.


6 Comments:

Blogger Danyele said...

Put that scale away! I locked mine away in my storage unit and only weighed on Saturdays for the first 6 or 7 months. You're better off just listening to your body and what IT is telling you, not the scale.

Sounds like you're doing great Melinda! Take care!

Blogger Unknown said...

I think that is a smart move, Melinda.

The last time I did Weight Watchers, I had a reasonable goal set for myself and wanted to lose one pound a week. Well, it got to the point that my whole week would be completely jacked if I hadn't lost that pound when I got on the scale, especially after a "good" week. (That was not the fault of the program at all, just my own stupid head messing with me.)

That was when I realized that it works better for me to gauge my weight loss efforts through accomplishments rather than numbers on a scale. For instance, completing a week of Couch to 5K training or going to a certain number of yoga classes within a set time period. It was the best thing I could have done for myself because it stopped me obsessing about numbers and allowed me to focus on all of the positive changes I was making in my life for myself.

Keep doing all of the good things you are doing and don't let that scale get you down, girl!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't pay any attention to that scale! Your clothes are loose? You're fitting into stuff from 20 pounds ago? Girl? You're losing weight - better than weight: INCHES!! Keep up the great work!

Blogger Kim said...

This is an amazing post, and I am going to follow your advice-- only every month for the first year. Good on ya!

Blogger Dagny said...

You're off to a hell of a start!!!
And yeah, take Danyele's advice!
Dagny

Blogger Keyana said...

I have been obsessed with the scale since my WLS too. I don't have one at home, however I weigh in everyday at work and I work anywhere from 4-5 days in a row...since there are 7 days in a week...you get my drift. I may take your advice and stop weighing but once a month too. it would probably be better for me!!! Congrats on the jeans....

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer