Excuse my annoying blissfulness
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
My best friend is here with me this week, and it is awesome. Right now she is working on PhD homework and I am...well, I'm puttering on the internet until she's done. She and I have been friends since we were 8, and at this point we're sisters more than friends. When I told her I'd decided to have the surgery, she was nothing but supportive, and she's stayed that way the whole time. She's a teacher, so when I told her when the surgery was, she immediately said she would come down and spend a week with me while I recovered.

Both of us figured that I would be in much worse shape then I've ended up being; we thought she's be doing some nursing me back to health action this week. Instead, we are planning shopping trips and excursions to Balboa Park, long walks to get me back in shape (in between homework, of course). Today she took me to my follow up appointment but now I'm released to drive, so she doesn't even have to do that anymore.

When she got here on Tuesday morning, she brought this big duffel bag full of clothes she had culled from her closet, and she handed them all over to me. There's some cute dresses and tops, a couple pairs of jeans and dresses. They're just about all size 14 or large, which logically I know I will probably reach. But I held up a pair of jeans as we were going through everything and the ass on them was just so impossibly tiny. I looked at her and said "There is no way these are every going to fit me. They're so TINY!"

And she looked me right in the eye and said "They are going to fit, and they'll fit sooner than you think." She was so confident about it that I couldn't do anything but believe her. So I folded up the jeans and I packed them away for Someday.

This morning I sorta stopped believing they would fit, ever. I haven't been a size 14 since I was a sophomore in high school, and that? Was 17 years ago. So you can see where my hesitation is when it comes to believing that those tiny little jeans are ever going to fit my big ass. This, despite the fact that as of my follow up with Dr. Mueller today, I have officially lost 15 pounds since surgery day. I mean, of course they'll fit someday if I keep doing that, right?

In other follow up news, Dr. Mueller said I am doing awesome, can go back to bowling, and that I better be doing something other than walking for exercise the next time he sees me (because "we all walk everyday, go do some other stuff too"). In fact, he told me I could go climb Mt. Everest if I wanted to. (I won't though, because Mt. Everest is cold. And makes people die.) Sounds like it's time for us to go sign up at the YMCA again. Oh, and I ordered some new exercise DVDs so there's that to look forward to.

In other words, things are looking good. Great, in fact. And I'm just hoping no one and nothing pops my little balloon of happiness anytime soon.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to hear how great you're doing! I was afraid you would be laid up, in pain for weeks - that you're up and about already is awesome! When you sign up at the Y, may I recommend the elliptical machine? It's become my all-time favourite cardio workout, although I was terrified of it at first - it was so hard! But, now? Not so much. And also, my ass is higher and more firm than it's been since I was in college!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're doing so good. I need to quit b.s.'ing and find something to do other than walking because that's getting real old, real fast.

Blogger Danyele said...

Those 14s are gonna fit honey.. and your friend is right.. it'll be sooner that you think. I went from a 26 to a 12 in 9 months.. it's friggin mind-boggling!

Blogger Dagny said...

Strap in for an amazing journey! Welcome to the ring and our Sisterhood!! Please drop me a note when you can!
Dagny

Blogger Michelle said...

Yes those 14's will fit and then you'll sail right through them before you know it...I was a size 22 eight months ago...today I'm a 8 or 10 depending on cut!

Blogger Keyana said...

I haven't been a 14 without the W behind it since my freshman year except fo tthe brief 2 month stint where I lost weight on weight watchers. You can do it! You are already doing great and Lisa-Marie is right. the elliptical will kick your butt at first, but that is the way that my husband has lost his weight so quickly! We call it the bad name at our house! Anyway, Good Luck, I can't wait to be able to exercise again!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer