Progressing apace
Thursday, July 26, 2007
I realized this week that I am so very, very blessed to have the doctors that I have. I chose my PCP based on the fact that not only is she about my age, her main area of interest (aside from internal medicine) is weight management. And just like I hoped, she's actually well-informed about obesity research and treatments, which means that she actually knows how to take care of me post-op. I can't help but think that I'm not her only bariatric patient because she really knows her stuff, which was demonstrated really well when I saw her from my post-surgery follow-up on Wednesday.

She asked all the right questions, made sure I really knew what had been done to me (she told me she's actually had patients say "Oh, they moved some things around inside and...*shrug*", so she was pleased when I was able to tell her exactly what Dr. Mueller did to my insides), looked at my incisions to make sure they were okay, and scheduled me for a follow-up with bloodwork for September. It's nice to know that I have a PCP who knows what to watch and how to make sure I'm healthy afterwards.

What's even nicer is the fact that Dr. Mueller and Dr. Falquier are part of the same healthcare system, so Dr. Mueller's been sending reports over to Dr. Falquier this whole time to keep her updated. Again, so lucky to have such a good team behind me on this.

Dr. Falquier did bring up one thing that made think; she asked what kind of weight loss rate goal Dr. Mueller had given me. And I realized that he's never once said "You should be losing X pounds per week." The focus from his office has been almost entirely on behavior modifications...learning to eat right, getting back on the exercise train, etc. So I told her that really, I'd be happy with an average of 2-4 pounds a week, and she said that sounds pretty well doable. (And then she reminded me that yes, I will have weeks without big losses, so be prepared.)

Speaking of food and exercise, soft foods have been an adventure. I'm learning the new ways for me to know when to stop eating (my pouch makes me a little nauseous when it gets full), and I've tried a bunch of different things. So far, no adverse reactions to eggs, green beans, peaches, cottage cheese, string cheese, deli meat or canned chicken. We used to always joke about how I had an Iron Clad Stomach that could tolerate just about anything; I guess now I have an Iron Clad Pouch. At least for now I do!

As for exercise, I did a 2 mile walk on Tuesday, we rejoined the gym and are going to Tai Chi on Sunday morning, and today I did my first Slim in 6 workout, which kind of kicked my ass with the 10 million squats and plies. On the good side, my ass will look AWESOME if I keep doing them.

And now I'm going to go make some uber-protein pudding, because it will definitely be easier to get that down rather than Yet Another Shake.


2 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Seems like no one ends up with the protein drink they start out with. You try various kinds and eventually find the one you'll be able to stick with. Make this time when you work the most on changing your attitudes about food. This is when the tool you've been given is the most powerful. Learn to use it!
Dagny

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I guess now I have an Iron Clad Pouch."

Lucky you! I'm just shy of 3 months and I still get sick sometimes. New foods especially fill me up so I find I eat the same things a lot. Green beans sound yummy though - maybe I'll have some for dinner.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer